Spinach and Feta GOZLEME. 48
July 12, 2012
It’s taken me five minutes of just STARING at the screen before I was able to even put finger to keyboard.
I just don’t know WHAT to say.
Don’t know WHERE to start.
HOW to describe the deliciousness, the simplicity, the crispness, the HEAVEN ON EARTH that is, Turkish Gozleme.
So, I’ve decided the proof is in the pudding, or rather, in the Gozleme, and the most EFFICIENT way for me to let you know that YOU MUST MAKE THESE IMMEDIATELY, is to post the recipe and the snaps and send you on your merry way!
Once you have your first bite, FOR A FACT, you will be HOOKED!
MAKES 4 (1 per person is a light lunch)
250g self raising flour
220g full fat natural greek yoghurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
Extra flour for dusting
2 cups chopped spinach (can use any type, even baby leaves!)
1 cup crumbled feta (I used preserved lemon and bay leaf marinated feta for extra flavour!)
1) Place yoghurt in a bowl
2) Whisk it up with a fork so that it becomes “flat”, add salt and mix some more
3) Slowly add the flour, whilst stirring at the same time. You will think that it will NEVER COMBINE….BUT do not fear…..
It will combine! You want it to be firm and only ever so slightly sticky. Once combined, knead on a surface lightly dusted in flour and then form into a ball.
4) Place in a bowl and cover with cling film, Leave to rest for 15 minutes
5) After 15 minutes, take it out of the bowl and cut it into four quarters.
6) One at a time, roll out the dough quarters. You want to get it paper thin, thin to the point that it is ALMOST see through.
7) Add scattering of spinach
8) Add scattering of feta
9) Fold over and seal edges using the end of a fork, or just your fingers is fine.
10) Slam the little baby into a hot, oiled pan (I used the oil from my marinated feta but olive is just as good)
11) Flip it when golden and cook the other side.
12) Cut with a pizza cutter and serve with lemon wedges! ADORED BY ONE AND ALL!!!!
UPDATE: Phoodie’s PHIRST EVER PHACEBOOK COMPETITION IS LIVE! “Like” Phoodie on Phacebook for your chance to win! Details to be found at www.facebook.com/phoodieblog