PANZANELLA… PHOODIE STYLE! 0
February 6, 2017
Less is More…. or so they say….
In my opinion, Less is More…. sometimes. I mean take a Triple Chocolate Fudge Sundae, as an example. The three types of chocolate ice cream, the brownie chunks, the hot fudge sauce, peanuts and whipped cream are ALL necessary compomemts of that indulgently delicious treat.
But…. sometimes, one too many things can push a dish over the edge… Like does the ham and cheese pizza REALLY need pineapple…. and mushrooms….. I’ll let you answer that one yourself….
I’ve always enjoyed Italian food and what I like most about it is how the REALLLLLY authentic stuff is ALWAYS super simple e.g. caprese salad; cheese and tomato, a margherita pizza; just tomato base with mozzarella. Many classic pasta dishes also only have two or three ingredients and they taste DIVINE.
And this Panzanella salad is in the same basket.
Just a handful of ingredients and you have ULTIMATE SALAD PERFECTION!
Don’t take my word for it, make it yaself!
Kali Orexi! or rather, Buon Appetito!
Makes a large salad
4 – 5 cups Heirloom tomatoes, chopped
3 whole roasted capsicum, store bought
1/2 red onion
1/2 bunch basil
3/4 large loaf sourdough bread, stale is fine
olive oil spray
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1) Wash and chop the tomatoes, add to salad bowl.
2) Roughly chop the capsicums and slice the onion, add to tomatoes.
3) Add the basil leaves to the salad.
4) Chop sourdough into large pieces (about same size as tomato chunks), spray with olive oil and toast in a 180 deg cel oven, on a baking paper lined tray until light golden.
5) Toss toasted bread through the salad.
6) Combine all dressing ingredients in a glass or jar and drizzle over salad just prior to serving.