SPIRAL SPANAKOPITA BY PHOODIE 0
August 5, 2016
Long time PHOODIE readers have been on a bit of a journey with me when it comes to Spanakopita…
Purists may say that a traditional spanakopita shouldn’t contain any cheese. But I say CHEESEEEEEEEEE, Always cheese!!!!!!
Also, in terms of what greens you use and whether there is any garlic or not is completely up to you.
Same with eggs.
Some people use them and some don’t.
Don’t freak out.
It’s not life and death, it’s spanakopita.
300g baby spinach
200g feta cheese
200g tasty cheese
Salt and pepper – a solid pinch of both (depending on your taste!)
4 sheets filo pastry per log (I typically make 3 logs which makes approx. a 35 cm diameter pie) So for me, 12 sheets filo is needed
PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 180 deg. cel.
1) In a bowl combine the spinach, feta, tasty cheese, eggs and salt and pepper and mix well.
2) Transfer mix to a food processor and pulse until chunky consistency is reached (ALTERNATIVELY, if you cook down the spinach – in a couple of tablespoons of water on the stove top, and drain – and THEN mix it with all of the other ingredients, you won’t need to pulse it.)
3) Melt the butter and using a pastry brush grease the pan.
4) To make the first log, slightly (i.e. by about 10cm) overlap two sheets of filo (as per picture below). Dab some butter on top of them and then repeat; i.e use another 2 sheets on top of the exisiting two sheets and dab with butter.
5) As per the image below, take 1/3 of the spinach mixture and lay it along the edge of the pastry in a log shape. Gently roll pastry forward to form a sealed log and then curl the log upon itself to form a spiral. Place spiral into dish.
6) Repeat the process for the second and third logs, wrapping them around the exisiting spiral to enlarge the main spiral. (See pictures for guidance)
7) Use the remaining butter to brush the top of the pie generously and then top with sesame seeds.
8) Bake in the oven until dark golden and crispy, about 30 minutes, but will depend greatly on the oven being used – keep an eye on it!